Friday, August 07, 2009

Love/Hate/Office

My eyes get tired
of the sunlight glare
on the too-white desk
I would welcome the grime
if it would take away from all this
summer office snow blindness

You know I'm looking around
but you've got hooks in me
like fish
or dolphins
or other things
with hooks in
I don't know that much
about fishing

And I think that maybe
I'm the meantime
and I'm the thing that remains
when everything else evolves
It's Darwin
It's not my fault
but then I remember
that that is the exact opposite
of how this always goes
and I laugh
at my attempts to recast myself
in a sympathetic light

My light is artificial
and makes the monitor hard to see
but I'm not allowed
to unscrew any bulbs
or someone will send a memo

(though where is the dress code memo?
where is the "quiet sobbing at desk" memo?
WHERE IS THE "PLEASE SILENCE YOUR CELL PHONES" MEMO?)

What I'm trying to say
is that I have a lot of feelings
and I need to move them out of that hall closet
because I may, at some point
want to remove my coats from storage
despite the fact that it is summer

Prince mixes metaphors too
you know
and nobody give him shit about it

1 Comments:

Blogger Prince of Dampness said...

Hey, at least someone finally sent around that "Awful Handlebar Mustache" memo!

1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home